Luckily though, I was only trailing behind him being clumsily introduced to people for about an hour before his parents arrived and saved me with a glass of wine. I couldn't wait to see him play, as I had many times before in various different venues of pub/gig orientation back in England, but the wine and company did take the edge off somewhat.
His set with the orchestra was really fun. The vocalist from Stevans, an act who were playing later on at the festival, was singing and Ben (my boyfriend) was accompanying on the piano as well as an array of players ranging from student to teacher on their orchestral instruments. The constant fluctuation of timekeeping with the smaller kids was endearing, and the older performers were really rather talented. The over all ability of those involved in the festival was really something.
Ben's solo set was a selection of diverse pieces mixed with personal songwriting. His vocals were on top form and I had a great view above all the children who scattered low down at the front. He played very well and I always love his sets more and more as they are unique and often quite taxing to listen to. I mean this in the most inspirational way, as the fact that you have to focus to get the crux of his songs makes it even more of a rewarding experience listening to him. Given that a lot of the crowd were children, it was particularly charming when he related a song to existentialism in one of his between piece anecdotes, a topic that the adorable little 10 year olds at the front must have had a strong grasp of. I did though, to my delight, hear a young girl behind me exclaim "existentialism!? that's my favourite word!" She was right though, it is a great word.
We celebrated after with bountiful glasses of wine, as conveniently girlfriends are often considered part of the backstage crew, thus often allowing them freedom with the bottles that reside there. Quite tipsy, we made more acquaintances and discussed the Final Fantasy games before going home and retiring to bed pretty zonked.
So the other concert I mentioned was a surprise 'and hour and a half before' ticket from my boyfriend to see the Saint-Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra last night at Le Rosey School where he works. The concert hall was architecturally beautiful and a pleasure to be in. We were up in the balcony at the far end for the first half where they played Grieg's Piano Concerto which is a fabulous work and was even more so in such a great space. The pianist was flawless. We left in the interval and came back to find our seats had been taken and I couldn't help but result to my english frustration at things not being in order and "surely they had witnessed us sitting there the whole time, how incredibly rude". So we had to move to the other side of the hall above the orchestra, which I must say for viewing was bad, but the sound quality was even better, perfect for the introduction of a dear favourite of mine - Swan Lake.
I may have sniffled a fair bit as the main theme boomed all around me. It always leaves me a bit stunned but with a fat grin on my face and tears in my eyes. As a girl who loves dance, the visions of ballet mixed with flashes of 'Black Swan' going through my mind (yes I know it's naughty to think of Natalie Portman covered in feathers when such a work is live in front of you), were completely enthralling.
I had such a great time last night, and I'm having a great time writing about it now too. I think that's when you know something was really special. When retelling it is just as much fun as the experience itself was. A brilliant concert to take me to really, I couldn't have been happier. Unless if it was Einaudi. God I love that man.
AKC x




No comments:
Post a Comment